With some big names in the German senior team to look up to, Nancy Ludwig is a rising talent in the German National Junior Team. We spoke to her about her about how she started weightlifting, her favourite athletes and her plans now that she is back on the platform after taking half of 2018 off with an injury, certainly one to keep an eye on!
1) So you are turning 19 this week! When did you start weightlifting and how did you get in to it?
My local club is right near my house, and my father trained powerlifting there. He took me when I was 9 with my brother (8 at the time) to the children’s classes.
2) What do you consider your biggest achievement in sport and what has been your favourite event so far?
I think my biggest achievement is coming 6th overall at the Youth Europeans in 2017. My favourite event though was the German championships in the same year. It was a really well run and fun competition, and I placed well too!
3) Do you have time for other activities outside of weightlifting?
I don’t have time for other things really, I train 7-9 times a week!
4) Who do you train with?
I have two coaches, one who writes my program but he doesn’t live in the same city as me. So I train with my brother (@erik_lu) and another coach mostly.
5) What is your top tip for new lifters?
My favourite motto – ‘just do it’!
6) Who are your favourite lifters to take inspiration from and who do you watch most on Instagram?
I loooooove Mattie Rogers (@mattiecakesssss). I like many of the American lifters very much, I find them very inspiring.
7) What has been your hardest challenge to overcome in weightlifting?
I had a bit of a setback in competing last year as I tore 2 ligaments in my ankle. I could only do strength training for 6 months, no Olympic weightlifting at all. It got really hard as all I wanted to do was lift like normal!
8) What club do you train at and how popular is weightlifting in Germany?
In Germany weightlifting is a pretty marginalized sport, Crossfit is a lot more popular! The best place to lift is the Federal Training centre in Leimen, I train in Gorlitz. My home town club where I started out is in Eibau.
9) What is it like training with the German weightlifting team? Do you all have fun?
Yes it’s very funny. I’m only with the juniors in the National team. But we do have a lot to do with the senior team, and we all know each other too! On our days off from training we hang out a lot together too!
10) What are your current goals now that you are back in to training properly?
I would love to appear on the international stage more often!
- Nancy Ludwig with Charlotte & Ryan, Canterbury Strength